99+ Etsy Shop Name Ideas
This post may contain affiliate links which means we may receive a commission if you purchase through our links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Cody and Julie here from Gold City Ventures and together we have three Etsy shops, TheSwagElephant, PintoPrintables, and GoldCityTemplates. The third Etsy shop name was easy to come up with since it is our company name plus the word template which is the product we sell.
The first two Etsy shop names we completely came up with from scratch. Julie went with a random animal name for TheSwagElephant and Cody went with a horse breed plus the product he sells (printables) for PintoPrintables. It was actually Cody’s second shop name since he changed his mind a few months into making his shop after he decided he didn’t like his first name anymore.
You can take a similar approach for your shop name and choose either an animal or your company name plus the product you sell. Or, you can take our advice here and read our list of 99 good name ideas below.
How to Pick Your Etsy Shop Name
First, before we get into our list of name ideas.. here are some rules to follow when picking your Etsy shop name.
- Choose a name under 20 characters
- Pick something easy for the customer to remember
- Check to see if what you want is already taken or close to it
- Think if you are building a brand beyond Etsy
- Don’t use another company’s trademark in the name
- Know you can change the name later so don’t overthink it!
A lot of people really let picking the name serve as a form of procrastination in opening their shop. Don’t let the shop name hold you back!
We highly recommend just picking something to get the shop open and rebranding later if you choose. We’ll get into how to change the Etsy shop name later in this article.
Ideas for Good Etsy Shop Names
- Put the product you sell in the title
- Put your first name in the title
- Use your blog name if you have one
- Use your first and middle names combined
- Name it after the closest city to where you live
- Include your favorite animal
- Name your brand after your kids
- Pick your favorite color plus flower combination
- Pick an adjective plus a noun
- Name it after a holiday around when people might buy your product
- Name if after the closest niche to what you sell
- Name it after something that terrifies you
- Name it after a hobby you love (SingingMama)
- Name it based on your relationship to others (YourFavoriteAuntie)
- Include your mood in the title
- Use repeating letters (PineappleParties)
- Pick a name that describes your ideal customer
- Describe your favorite movie character
- Completely make up a word that sounds cool to you
- Pick two opposites and put them together
- Name it after a shade of color that you love
- Pick the funniest name you can think of
- Pick a name that your ideal customer would think is funny
- Ask your friends and family for ideas
- Use an online random name generator
- Put your day job in the title if you have one
- Put your dream for the business in the title
- Put where you’d rather be in the title (RatherBeOnTheBeach)
- Put why you are saving money in the title (MyCollegeFund)
- Use a username that you’ve had for awhile
- Pick your Instagram, TikTok or other social media handle
- Spell a common word a little differently
- Pick a weird hobby you are into and include it
- Describe your celebrity crush
- Pick your favorite food
- Incorporate your dream travel destination
- Add “The” plus an adjective plus a noun (TheBarkingDalmation)
- Create your own superhero and name your shop after that
- Describe yourself in a weird way (NailBitingNeil)
- Make it rhyme
- Think of a word that describes your favorite person then use the opposite of that word
- Think of something spiritual that calls to you
- If your products will be spicy, pick something spicy
- Ask a partner to describe you and use that
- Open a random page in the first book you see and use a play on that word
- Include where the products are made
- Include a reference to shop, designs, products etc
- Include the word store
- Include a body part plus an adjective (RustedElbow)
- Complete this sentence “I’m Always___” and choose Always__
- Do the same for Never
- Include a mythical creature
- Pick your favorite holiday decor plus shop (Oh hey, Christmas tree shop!)
- Smush two words together into one
- Smush three words together into one
- Invent a dreamland like Candyland and call it ___land
- Imagine a planet where they only had your product __Planet
- Use a title plus something else MissLashBusiness or MrBeadedNecklaces
- Think of something keyword friendly
- Think of something from your childhood plus your product (BraceletDoll)
- Name it after your pet
- Name if after your town
- Name it after a grandparent
- Include your college mascot in the title
- Make it sound like a tv program (TheBeadedBraceletShow)
- Describe the material you use to make the products (RusticWoodenThings)
- Pick something that reminds you of home
- Pick a smell that you love plus something else
- Pick a childhood crush’s name
- Fill in this sentence.. I made stuff for__people and turn that into something (CraftyPeopleLoveMe)
- I Love ___
- Put something ironic
- Search on Reddit in the niche that you’re interested in and see if anything catches your eye
- Pick a cheesy name that sounds almost fake like an infomercial
- Pick a super serious name that makes your brand sound elegant if required for the niche
- Pick something that is one word long
- Add Co to the end of the name
- Imagine your bestselling product and describe it
- What will you buy with your first Etsy sale proceeds? Include that
- Pick an animal that you love but add a mood to the front (StubbornHorse)
- Describe a neighbor on your street
- Think about how long it takes you to make the product and incorporate that (100Hours)
- Add a color in front of a noun (TheGreenWizard)
- Describe your checkout experience (SwiftPurchase)
- Pick your dream city to visit (MeltOverMadrid)
- Think of how you answer the phone (HelloMother)
- Ask your Facebook friends to give you ideas
- Go to a random word generator and keep going into you find something you like
- Google random letters and see what words pop up
- Pick a word in another language
- Include a household object
- Include something trending on Google Trends
- Search Pinterest or TikTok for Inspiration
- Describe a current event in other words
- Describe how you want your customer to feel (SatisfiedSally)
- See what your competition named their shop and go in the opposite direction
- Use a common phrase
- Pick words from something in the public domain
- Just pick something because you can always change it!
Hopefully, the ideas above got your brain thinking about something that you can possibly go with for your Etsy shop name. People really do pick names all across the board and it doesn’t change the results for their shop very much in either direction.
Etsy Shop Names of Successful Sellers
We use the tool eRank here at Gold City Ventures to help us boost our shop listings and eRank says the shops that sold the most yesterday were the following:
You can see these are pretty random names and one even includes a number! So don’t stress about picking your Etsy shop name. Just do it so you can get started and start seeing the sales roll in.
How to Change Your Etsy Shop Name
The best thing to know is that you can totally change your Etsy shop name if you decide you hate it down the road.
That is what Cody of Gold City Ventures did with his original shop name before he changed it to PintoPrintables. He just decided a few months into his shop that he didn’t like it.
His customers didn’t care and it was still early enough that it was easy to rebrand.
That is why we think just picking a name in your shop at first should be somewhat quick since you know you can always pick something you love more later down the road. Of course, that is if you haven’t invested tons in the packaging that says the brand name.
According to the Etsy Seller Handbook, you can go to Settings > Info & Appearance > Click change next to Shop name.
No one can use your old shop name even if you choose to change it so don’t worry about anyone taking your old brand. You still are limited to the 20 characters when you change the name.
You can change your shop name up to 5 times says Etsy but any more than that, you need to contact Etsy support and have them help you change it manually.
Personally, we recommend changing the name just 2-3 times if you need to change it. Julie has never changed her Etsy shop names and it hasn’t been a problem for her yet.
Of course, a rebrand could always be something she pursues down the road and loves that Etsy gives that option should she need it.
How to Know if Your Shop Name is Trademarked
The Etsy Seller Handbook also has some tips on how to check if your shop name is trademarked. This means that another company has filed for rights to use this name and you may be infringing upon their rights if you choose to use it as well.
They recommend using the trademark search tool in the US and searching your local trademark authority if located outside of the US.
An example of something that would be a definite “no-no” to use in your Etsy shop name would be anything Disney-related or Harry Potter-related. Those are definitely trademarked names and those companies regularly facilitate the removal of shops and products that infringe upon their trademark.
This is not something to worry about if you used our ideas above since the name you will pick will hopefully be so unique to you that it is not used anywhere else.
Checking Social Media for Your Shop Name
Even beyond checking for trademarks, we recommend finding out if your shop name was used on social media accounts or someone else has created a blog or website with the name. It may not matter for copyright but it may be confusing for customers who try to look you up for repeat sales and then find their accounts.
If you do find your shop name was used before, don’t stress! Sometimes, you can purchase the domain name (or website name) from the previous seller if you message them. Don’t do this with social media accounts though since passing social media accounts to a new person for money is not allowed in many terms and conditions.
Once you do get your shop name, we recommend grabbing the related Instagram and other social media handles so you always know you have them if you choose to build out your marketing later.
Need Help with Your Etsy Shop?
Be sure to check out the products and courses we offer at GoldCityVentures.com. We have a free ebook of 65 product ideas to sell in your Etsy shop to help you get started.
We’ve been selling for years now and our focus is on digital products that help you better scale your time and give the greatest return in terms of money.